Friday, January 8, 2010

35 Weeks 3 Days

Yesterday evening was the National Championship game between The Univeristy of Texas and Alabama. The weather here in Tuscaloosa put a damper on the plans we had. It had snowed off and on through out the day, but not enough to stick. It also sleeted and rained. So after the below freezing temperatures, Shane decided that our plans to go watch the game at the student center on campus were no longer good, and that we would stay home to avoid ice on the roads. I felt for him because he was really looking forward to watching the game with a big group of Alabama fans, and needless to say, he ended up with me and the dogs!!

So the first quarter was not good for Alabama and a lot of yelling at the TV took place. Shelbe, who is deaf, even heard the yelling!! : ) But, in the end, Alabama reigned victorious. I found myself pulling for both teams, especially since the Longhorns quarterback got hurt in the first quarter and they brought in a freshman quarterback. I am always for the under dog for whatever reason, but was glad that in the end, (for my husband's sake) that the Crimson Tide's perfect season held strong. What more could Shane ask for during his time here in Tuscaloosa?

Today I took Shelbe to the vet due to the increase in her seizures. I had a huge meltdown with the receptionist when she asked me why we were there, but then I finally regained composure and did OK the rest of the time. I explained to the vet about her recent decrease in appetite as well as her seizure history. He did lab work on her and found her BUN and creatinine (which is her kidney function) to be elevated as well as her calcium level. He said that the elevation in her kidney function could be contributing to her seizures, but really wasn't sure, that it could also be a drop in her blood sugar. He said that sometimes an elevated calcium level is indicative of cancer, but for her age, he could not necessarily rely on that. He recommended we put her on a low protein diet and gave me a Nutrical paste to give her once a day that is high in calories as well as glucose. He and I had a long discussion about her quality of life and he felt like she still had a good quality of life, but if the seizures became more frequent or she did not pick up on her eating, that we would need to look at other options. So, only time will tell!!!


1 comment:

  1. My poor little Shelbe!!! Give her some big hugs from Aunt Lili!!!

    ReplyDelete