Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Trial and Error

On Tuesday we tried a new eating routine with not so favorable results. Dr. McGiffert had recommended that if I wanted, I could supplement Camden's breast milk with a few feedings a day of Similac Sensative. Well, let me just start by saying that I have been a mom the past 8 weeks instead of a nurse, so all my nursing education has gone out the window!!! So I gave him a bottle of the formula - not even thinking to only give him maybe half formula and half breast milk to allow him to adjust. Anyway, he was not the least bit thrilled with the taste of it. He made horrible faces, and who can really blame him since the stuff smelled like dirt and it was extremely frothy. So after much coercing, he took the bottle. About 45 minutes later, the crying and screaming began and this lasted for several hours. So I then attempted at his next feeding to give a bottle of just straight breast milk so I could see how much he was consuming. He would suck a few times and then every time he went to swallow he would cry. My first thought was an ear infection, but I knew better since she had just looked at his ears the day before. So after fighting him to take the milk (of which he only consumed an ounce) I offered him the breast which he took with no problem at all. UGH!!! After talking to my personal breast feeding consultant, Lorrie, I was reminded that perhaps I should make the bottle half breast milk, half formula the next time and see how he responds to that. So, the next bottle I made 75% breast milk and 25% formula with one drop of Mylicon to rid of all the frothy bubbles. This bottle I had Shane give him since they say that they usually take it better from someone other than the breast feeding mother, but that was not the case. I think he finally consumed 2 ounces of the bottle before drifting off to sleep - but that was only short lived. Forty-five minutes later he was up screaming and crying again for another hour and a half to two hours. After this, I believe we will forgo this particular type of formula! I don't know if it is because the formula is milk based, but lactose free and the milk is bothering him or what, but once again it is sooooo miserable to see your child suffering with such horrible gas pains.

Today I decided we would try the bottle again so I could again see how much he was consuming. I am a bit concerned that perhaps I am not producing enough breast milk for him and of course want to make sure he is getting everything he needs so he can grow accordingly. Well, once again he refused the bottle - even though it was straight breast milk. I am so frustrated with that darned formula, because up until that time he would take a bottle just fine!! This evening after I fed him, Shane attempted to give him some breast milk in the bottle, and again, refusal. So I decided I would try a different type of bottle than the Avent that we have been using, and tried to have Shane give it to him in a Playtex nurser. Again, refusal. For his night feeding I offered him the bottle, but this time prior to breast feeding and he drank the ounce I had in there. Woo Hoo!!!!! So maybe we are getting some where. I just know that the little guy thinks I am going to give him that nasty formula again - poor thing. I hope this isn't an indicator that he is going to be a picky eater like one of his parents. ; ) So for the time being I think I will just let the formula go and just see if the Zantac will do the trick.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, Melinda, It is so hard to see them uncomfortable! To fatten him up, you may want to pump before you feed him, freeze that milk for when you are back at work, and then nurse him so he gets the fattier hind milk. Your body will continue to produce milk if there is the demand, so it may take a few minutes to get another letdown, but it will happen, and that milk will be put some meat on that boy's bones!

    ReplyDelete