Monday, March 29, 2010

2 Month Checkup

Where do I begin?? Today we had our 2 month check up with shots. I was and wasn't looking forward to this appointment. The reason I was looking forward to it is because I couldn't wait to see how much weight my precious angel had gained. I was dreading it for the obvious - shots!!! Well, first thing they did was strip him down and weigh him, which he weighed 9 pounds and was 22 inches long. I was thrilled, until Dr. McGiffert informed me that he is in the 5th percentile for weight and 25th percentile for height. UGH!!! We have got to get some weight on this child. We had a long discussion regarding him possibly being allergic to milk, and after a long discussion, she agreed that he probably is lactose intolerant - which most children out grow between 6 months and a year of age. After her asking multiple questions and me apparently not having the right answers, she determined that he could possibly also have reflux. So she is doing a trial of Zantac twice daily for a few weeks to see if there is any improvement. She also suggested that I try Similac Sensitive for a few feedings a day to see if I see any improvement in regards to his fussiness and gas if I wanted to go that route. I believe that I will probably start pumping and then feeding him to make sure he is getting adequate milk intake, although she said I could feed him from the breast and then add additional milk that I have pumped. I will also try the formula for a few feedings, hoping that it too will add extra weight onto him.

When she was performing his physical exam, she listened to his chest for quiet a long time. Being a cardiac nurse, I knew this was not the norm. He was being quiet the wiggle worm, so she was having a hard time hearing, but thought she could have heard a murmur. So she went and got another doctor to listen and that doctor said she could definitely hear it. So she is referring us to a pediatric cardiologist at Children's Hospital in Birmingham. In the meantime though, she threw out that I could stop by my work and have them do an echocardiogram on him if I wanted to see for sure if it was a atrial septal defect or patent ductus arteriosis. Well, since I already had plans to stop by there for them to see Camden for the first time, why not put my co-workers to work!! Melanie, one of our wonderful echo techs, did an echocardiogram and we could see the small patent foramen ovale (PFO)he had. This is a hole that all infants have, but they usually close up right after birth when babies take their first big breath. It is not really an uncommon thing and usually 80% of babies PFO's close at a later date. Dr. Hemstreet listened to Camden and looked at the echo pictures and was ready to tell me not to keep the appointment, but said I should go to the appointment since she is referring us, but not to fret because it really is fine. Perhaps this is why I have been in cardiology for almost 8 years!?!?

He received his immunizations today, one oral and five shots, three in his left leg, two in the right. Of course he cried, but the minute she went to put his band aids on he stopped - thankfully. It was not as bad as I had imagined, thank the Lord!! So, we are to go back in two weeks for a weight check and then in 2 months for his 4 month visit. In the meantime, we will be receiving a call with his cardiology appointment in Birmingham. The fun never ends, does it?


Camden's legs after immunizations


Left leg - three band-aids


Right leg - two band-aids

No comments:

Post a Comment