Wednesday, November 25, 2009

29 Weeks 1 Day

On Monday I underwent the three hour glucose tolerance test. I thought that fasting would be the hardest part of that test, but found out very early that it was ingesting the horrible glucose cocktail that they give you. My one hour test was done in my doctor's office and I had the choice of orange, lemon-lime or cola flavored. It wasn't the best stuff, but was definitely drinkable. In the lab, they gave me what was supposed to be fruit punch and I can assure you, the only resemblance to fruit punch was the color. For the 3 hour test you have to drink twice as much and I will be honest, it was rough. I drank and drank and drank and felt I would never get it down. Half way through, the lab tech gave me a straw to see if that would help. Well, I wouldn't say it helped, but I did get it all down. Since the lab is in the building I work in, I was able to go back to work and have a coworker draw my blood every hour. Kim (my wonderful coworker) actually decided we should just start an IV and draw the blood out of it so I wouldn't have to get stuck so many times. I was all for that and she did a fantastic job!!! So after the three hours was up, I just knew I would be starving to death, but by this time it was 10:45 am and I knew lunch was right around the corner, so opted not to eat something then. Within one hour, my sugar bottomed out when I was on the phone with a patient and I was sweating profusely. I thought that I was hiding the way I felt, but after I reached for a granola bar and started eating it, one of my other coworkers looked at me and gave me a peppermint and then when Kim walked up, the look on her face said it all. She made me eat a glucose tab and within 10 minutes or so I was back in action. After receiving my test results, this event all made sense!!!

So I called the doctor's office on Tuesday and she had not reviewed the results yet, so I called back on Wednesday and was told I passed. My fasting sugar was 84. The one hour was 98, two hour 91, and three hour 85. (So who knows how low it was one hour later!!) I was thrilled, but in shock. How in the heck could I have 178 on my fasting and not even get over 100 on the three hour. One of the doctor's I work with said not to be concerned, but it just seems odd to me. I will be looking forward to Dr. D explaining that one to me!! But I am so grateful and feel so blessed that I do not have gestational diabetes. I had been trying to accept the fact that I did. My husband gets irritated with me that I am negative when it comes to things like that, but what I tried to explain to him is that I would rather be prepared than be oblivious and in denial. Either way, I am still so happy!!

Today I went and saw Dr. Hogan and I told him about the decreased vision in my eye as well as the floater that appeared on Sunday and has not left. I told him that I had a chest cold and contributed the decreased vision to the coughing I was doing. He told me that MS and things like ocular neuritis, will indeed flare up with any type of viral or bacterial infection, especially like with a UTI. I told him that I had just gotten over a UTI - he did not find it surprising that I was having problems and told me once again that it would take time. I also discussed with him the concern Dr. D had with me having an epidural since she thought it caused flare ups of MS (even though I don't have it) post partum. He told me that it is not the epidural that causes the flare ups, it is just post-partum in general with all the hormones and everything the body has gone through and he saw no reason as to why I should not have an epidural if that is the route I wanted to go. So all in all, an informative visit. I am due back to see him mid-March once Camden is here.

When I got home from work today, I found that my dear husband had gone and picked up the baby bed and had it put together in Camden's room. I am very pleased with the bed, but not really certain about the color on the walls - that is another story for another time!!! He and my brother-in-law will go and pick up the dresser this Saturday and then we can really start trying to get the nursery together - thank goodness!!! I will post pictures when we have the room all together.

I am looking forward to my sister and her family coming to visit this Thanksgiving. They have not been to Alabama since we have lived here. I am a bit anxious about cooking my first Thanksgiving dinner by myself - I will let you know how that goes!!!!


How our baby is growing:

Our baby now weighs about 2 1/2 pounds (like a butternut squash) and is a tad over 15 inches long from head to heel. His muscles and lungs are continuing to mature, and his head is growing bigger to make room for his developing brain. This trimester, about 250 milligrams of calcium are deposited in his hardening skeleton each day.


1 comment:

  1. Yea on the epidural~ I think you will be glad you have that option. ;-)

    ReplyDelete