Monday, December 14, 2009

31 Weeks, 6 Days

On Saturday, Shane and I went to our first birthing class. There were probably 6 or so couples there for the class. The teacher discussed the different stages of labor, contractions, labor plans, and other odds and ends. She then showed us a video that showed 5 different ladies giving birth naturally. Shane "rested his eyes" through the part of the woman talking, (which she wasn't the most interesting speaker) but was awake for the video. We then went for a tour of the labor and delivery unit so we would all be acquainted with where we will be. All in all, it was a lot of what I already knew, but was good to have a refresher.

After our class, Shane and I went and did some Christmas shopping here in Tuscaloosa. It is not that we have too much shopping left to do, but we do have a few people to buy for that we have no idea what to get. Well, to be honest, we did not get too much accomplished at all. After church on Sunday we headed to Birmingham to try shopping again, and again, not much accomplished. So hopefully, something will get accomplished this week - I am just waiting on some good ideas....
While Shane and I were in Dick's Sporting Goods, I was trying on some shoes. As I was waiting for the salesman to bring out a pair of shoes to me, there was a woman sitting next to me also waiting for shoes. She looked at me and asked when I was due. I told her February 9th and her response was, "You are so small!" Now, how was I supposed to respond to that???? I just said "Thank you" of course after making a comment that I feel huge. But seriously, what is a person supposed to say to that. Is it really a compliment or do people think to themselves that I must not be taking care of myself and giving my child what he needs? I honestly didn't and still don't know what to think about it, but it definitely is not the first time I have heard that comment. Oh well, so long as I know I am doing everything I should be doing to give Camden everything he needs at this time, I will just have to accept their comments and keep on going!


2 comments:

  1. Take it as a compliment!! You look great in all aspects. So many gain too much weight, don't exercise, don't eat healthy, etc. You're j-u-s-t right mama bear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Melinda! Thanks for the Christmas card. Dixie just emailed me the blog address...I had lost track of it. How neat! Well in response to the "you're so small" comment, I used to get the "you're so huge...you'll never make it to your due date"...to which I can reply, sure I can...and I did! 4 days past it with Owen! People always have to say SOMETHING and either way it kind of leaves you thinking...THANKS! But you look great and are certainly doing everything right. I have also noticed that the taller my friends, the less they "show", well that's all relative;o). Anyway, sounds like you guys are getting all ready. If you ever have any questions about natural childbirth or breastfeeding I have done both lots...so feel free to give me a call or email. Literally some of the most amazing experiences in this life. You are going to love being a mom! Take care, Amanda Hood

    ReplyDelete