Monday, February 11, 2013

You Still Doing That?

"You still doing that?" If I have heard that question once since Casen was born, I have heard it at least 50 times. Family, friends and coworkers have asked me that question in regards to breastfeeding. Generally when some of my coworkers see me walking into work with my breast pump bag on my shoulder, they will question me if I am still breastfeeding. Up until today, the answer to the question was always yes. However as of today, the answer to the question is, "No, no I am not." I pumped for the last time yesterday. After a week of pumping 20 minutes or more three times daily and only producing almost 6 ounces total in a days time I decided it was time for it to come to an end. As Shane said, "It is not like you are keeping him well." (Thank you for pointing that out dear.) I will tell you, I thought after I was able to consume dairy that I was going to be able to breast feed for his full first year, but instead, I only made it 8 months - which is better than what I did with Camden. I am feeling very sad and guilty, but I feel like I did the best I could working full time and will just have to go on the fact that I was able to give him breast milk for 8 months. So, with the one last bag of breast milk I have in the freezer, tomorrow will be the last time Casen gets breast milk.

The final bag of breast milk
Luckily, it does not phase Casen if he drinks formula or breast milk so that transition is no problem. The one thing I am concerned with is what difficulty I will run into trying to put him down at night since he is used to breast feeding and sometimes falling asleep while feeding. I guess only time will tell, and like anything else it will be an adjustment for us both.

No comments:

Post a Comment