Monday, February 25, 2013

Checking out the Pearly Whites

The last time I went to the dentist, which sad to say was about a year and a half ago, I asked the dental hygienist him about an appointment for Camden. She suggested that when I make my next appointment to make him a 'Happy Visit' so he could see me get my teeth cleaned and then they could just take a look at him so he could get used to the idea of the dentist. Obviously I have been overdue to go to the dentist, so I finally made us an appointment. When I told Camden he was going to the dentist, he automatically knew exactly what I was talking about because in one of his Elmo books, Count Dracula goes to the dentist and we have looked at that book a million times.

I made plans for my sister to pick up Casen so that we didn't have to worry about him while at the dentist. I picked up Camden a bit early from school and we headed to see Dr. Methvin. Of course, I went first and he watched everything the dental hygienist did and asked lots of questions. He spotted her kid toothbrushes and was so excited to get one. She told him that if he would let Dr. Methvin look in his mouth he could get a toothbrush. He eyeballed a blue Cars toothbrush and was ready for his turn. So after Dr. Methvin came in and checked me over, it was Camden's turn. He was such a big boy - he got right in the chair and opened his mouth right up without a problem. Dr. Methvin called me over as he was checking things out so that he could point out Camden's molars. He questioned me about if I was ill when I was carrying Camden. I explained to him about my ocular neuritis. He asked if it was towards the end of my pregnancy and I told him that it was around 5 months. He told me that generally when mothers are on different medications while their babies are in utero and it is the time that the baby teeth are forming, it can affect the teeth and cause them to have a yellow appearance and later on they can become 'chalky'. He said that as time goes on we may notice pieces of his back molars just flake off. He said that it is not a problem, they just put caps on them and then when their permanent teeth come in there are no problems since it is only the baby teeth it affects. He said that this 'chalkiness' may not even happen, but to be aware of it. Can I tell you how sad that makes me???? I possibly ruined his back molars and didn't even know it! We have always been so good to make sure he has good oral hygiene and this we can't even do anything about. UGH!!

All in all, it was a great visit. We accomplished what we needed to as far as getting Camden used to the dentist and at least letting Dr. Methvin take a look at his teeth. Camden promised the dental hygienist that next time we visited she could clean his teeth.


No comments:

Post a Comment