Saturday, August 25, 2012

Just Like His Brother

As you may recall, Camden had (and still has tendancies to be) constipation issues as an infant. He was on Miralax for almost the first two years of his life. Now with the help of Motts For Tots apple juice as well as grapes, we can keep him pretty regular. Well, Casen has decided to fall in his footsteps, only I believe he is trying to out do Camden by starting at a younger age. He has always been my little pooping machine until last week. He started to decrease the amount of times he would dirty a diaper to maybe twice a day which I thought was a nice change. Then mid week last week he went two days without pooping at all. I was a little worried because he was extremely gassy. Finally, he made up for his two days and dirtied 3 diapers within a few hours at school. All was well for a few days and then on Sunday I noticed, no dirty diaper. This went on every day until I finally decided to call the pediatrician, even though the internet said it is okay for breast fed babies to go over  a week without a bowel movement. Personally, between the rotten egg gas smell that he had coming from him every time he moved as well as the fact that the was putting down almost 5 ounces of milk at each feeding, I knew he needed to get rid of his poop. After informing the nurse about what was going on, she spoke with his pediatrician who said to mix 1 ounce of prune juice in 2 ounces of breast milk. If he did not poop with in 4 to 5 hours, I was to give him 1/2 of a glycerin suppository. Before giving him his prune juice, he did have a dirty diaper, but I did not care for the thick consistency and it was not what I would consider an adequate amount. So at 7:00 pm he sucked down his prune juice concoction and did not have a bowel movement before he went to bed, so I decided he could receive the suppository today if needed. I had to run to school to finish up a few things in the clinic and while I was there I received the text from Shane stating he finally emptied his gut!!! Thank goodness!!!! I tell you what, between Camden and Casen, I never knew I would be so focused on bowel movements! By the time I don't have to worry about their bowel habits anymore, I will be old and focused on my own - such a vicious cycle!
My happy little guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment