Thursday, June 9, 2011

Sixteen Again . . . . Kind Of

I am not even certain as to where to begin with this entry, so I will just start. Obviously when we moved to Alabama we got driver's license there. They were good until May 25, 2011. When we moved back to Texas, we opted not to change any of our vehicle registrations or license plates until we got our own home so we would not have to pay to change the address. (Cheap, I know but I do what I can.) Anyway, one of the things the closing company was requesting before we close on our home is a copy of our driver's license, which we sent, but since they expired the day we sent them, they wanted current valid driver's license. Since it takes about a day to get all of that accomplished here in Harris County, we opted to wait till last Friday to take care of business, since that was our first day out of school. We first went and paid an arm and half a leg to get our vehicles registered back in Texas and then headed to get our license. Now we had been informed to head to Hempstead or Brenham to accomplish this task because the lines close to where we live are ridiculous. So, after registering the vehicles, we headed to Hempstead. After waiting in line outside in the blazing sun for over 45 minutes and hardly moving in line, we headed to Brenham. When we got there, we did not even have to wait. However, we got some horrible news! They ever so UNPLEASANT lady told us that since our license from Alabama were expired, we would have to take the written and driving test again. Seriously??? You think I can pass that written test again? Also, she wanted a copy of our birth certificates which we did not have. So we headed back home. When we got here, I got on the internet to see what we needed to do about scheduling an appointment and the website said we had to do it in person. Well that just ticked me off because we had just drove twp hours there and back and she did not even offer an appointment to us. So I tried calling them, with no answer. The alternative number was a number to Austin. I called and spoke with a very nice lady who told me the woman was wrong, we would not have to take the test over unless our Alabama license were over 2 years expired, which ours were barely over a week expired. She said that if we went back to the same place to ask to speak to the manager. So, on Monday we headed back to Brenham and got stuck with the same UNPLEASANT lady. She remembered us and assumed we were there to take our written test. I informed her of what Austin said, and she called her supervisor. Well, that turned out well for Shane, but not myself. Since his Texas driver's license expired less than 2 years ago, he didn't have to take his test, but since mine expired more than 2 years ago, I did. UGH!! So, I sat down and took the written test, which I am proud to say I passed the first time. You wouldn't believe some of those questions!!!! (That being said for someone who hasn't studied for the test in 22 years.) Anyway, she said I would have to schedule the driving test for later in the week - which I scheduled for today at 9:00 am. So this morning we got up bright and early and headed to Brenham. About 5 minutes from home for some reason I had a bad feeling about Camden and his bowel movements. He has a knack for pooping while we are driving in the car, and you never know if it will be diarrhea or hard as a rock. I informed Shane that I did not even have a spare change of clothes for Camden in case of an accident. Well about 15 minutes into our drive, he pooped. We pulled over, and luckily it was fine, he was cleaned up and we continued on our journey. Right as we pulled into Brenham, he pooped again, but this time the smell was overwhelming. I had a bad feeling about what I was going to find. We pulled over at a gas station across the street from the DPS office and his shorts were covered with poop. After half a tub of wipes and one fly buzzing around us, he was cleaned up with a new diaper. I headed inside to the bathroom to get his shorts cleaned up and was somewhat successful. We then headed to the DPS office. Can I tell you I was as nervous taking that test as I was when I was sixteen. Luckily, when we arrived the nice lady took me for the test. I was blessed not to receive the UNPLEASANT lady because as I was told during my test, they alternate weeks giving the driving test. Thank goodness!!!! Before we even entered the vehicle I informed her of our morning festivities so that if she smelled anything unpleasant in the vehicle, she would know why. She thought it was hysterical! Anyway, we had great fun and laughs while taking the test, and honestly I forgot I was being tested. We even had the fly in tow with us which was a constant reminder of Camden! When we arrived back at the test site, I was informed I passes and received my temporary license! Perhaps I am not sixteen again, as evident by having a pooping child and husband in tow, but for a brief moment I felt like I was.

1 comment:

  1. Aren't you glad you are keeping a blog as a record of these events?

    Glad you passed!

    ReplyDelete