Sunday, May 23, 2010

Soy Successful

The past several weeks I have been trying to figure out how I can quit breastfeeding and afford for us all to still eat. O.K. maybe I could quit breastfeeding and us all still eat, but I still like the fact that breast milk is not only free, it is the best thing for Camden. Since we have been trying to put weight on Camden, he has been eating 1/2 breast milk and 1/2 formula. Due to his milk allergy, he has been receiving Nutramigen, which is expensive to say the least. Currently, I have about a months worth of breast milk saved up in the freezer. I calculated how much it would cost to feed him the Nutramigen once he goes to it full time and it is about $200/month. That is ridiculous if you ask me, but I would gladly pay that for my child if that is what he would need.

As a last ditch effort, I decided that we would try soy formula this weekend to see how Camden did on it. I have been very leery up until this point to try it since he has been doing fine on the Nutramigen and also since I had heard that a lot of infants that have a milk allergy, also have a soy allergy. Shane apparently had a milk allergy as an infant and was on soy, so I figured what the heck, maybe 'like father like son'? Well I am so happy to say that he has done WONDERFUL on the soy formula!!! And what is even better is that it is about nine dollars cheaper a canister!!!

I honestly do not mind breast feeding or pumping, even though pumping and then feeding Camden is a bit time consuming. My problem is that I have not been able to eat any dairy products or eggs and I am absolutely craving all of my favorite things - chocolate, pizza, ice cream, the list goes on. It is incredibly hard to feed my husband since we are limited on what I can eat. I have made my own cream of chicken soup to make chicken and rice, but with an infant and working full time, I really do not have the time to take extensive measures for us to eat. Also, I am unable to make casseroles ahead of time, so by the time I get home from work, spend an hour or so with Camden and then put him to bed, it is 7:30 or 8:00 pm and the last thing I want to do is spend 30 minutes to an hour in the kitchen cooking us supper. To say the least, I am tired. So as much as I hate to admit it, I guess I am giving up - I usually do not give in because I am so stubborn, but this time I am raising the white flag. I am working now to wean myself from breast feeding, and I must say a part of me is sad about it - mainly because my son is not going to get the benefits he has been receiving and also because like I said before, I am giving in.


I love when he sticks his tongue out while he is smiling


Camden laughing at his daddy



No comments:

Post a Comment