Friday, July 31, 2009

12 Weeks 3 Days

I just have to share something that happened at work today that did and still does give me goose bumps. I went to the waiting room to call back a patient and this lady in her mid 60's had her daughter with her. She told her daughter to stay in the waiting room, but she got up anyway and came with her mother. The daughter would grunt and point, but wouldn't speak. When we got in the room, I had the patient sit up on the table and informed her daughter that she could sit in the chair in the corner. I proceeded to talk to the patient asking her how she was doing and found out that her daughter was 40 and had autism. As I started to take her vital signs, her daughter from the chair started yelling out "Ba, Ba, Ba, Ba" while rubbing her hand in a circular motion over her belly. Her mother looked at me and said, "She says you have a baby in there." The look on my face was shock, I know. I am not really showing and in scrubs you would never know a thing!!! I looked at the mother and said, "How did she know that?" She just looked at me, shrugged her shoulders and said, "I don't know!" I know I have heard of autistic people having special qualities that are amazing, but I can assure you that this particular girl I will never forget.


No comments:

Post a Comment