Thursday, July 23, 2009

11 Weeks 2 days

First of all, I must say Happy Birthday to Shelbe, my first "child." She is my shih-tzu that I received when I started nursing school. She is 15 today and I love her so very much. She is blind and for the most part deaf, but is still a wonderful and loving child!!!


So this past week has had some good days and bad days, but I must say for the most part they were good! The nausea has seemed to have left me for the most part, which is such a blessing. But on Saturday evening and pretty much all day Sunday I got to experience gas like never before!!! I was completely and utterly miserable on Sunday just feeling bloated and burping all the time. I swear if I burped once I burped 1000 times on Sunday. I am sure Shane thought he was in a boy's locker room, although I did excuse myself each and every time!!!! The paperwork I received from the doctor which lists the medications I can take had a section for everything BUT gas. As a nurse, and one who used to have to be on call, I can so sympathize with receiving calls on the weekend that just seem unimportant, so I decided not to be one of "those" people and didn't call. (Perhaps I am saving up my calls for later!!!) Anyway, my wonderful husband could see that I was suffering and went to the grocery store and bought me some Tums, which did help some. Needless to say, by Monday, things seemed to be much better. I am thinking that my culprit is dairy products, but will do a little more trial and error before I blame it solely on good ol' dairy.

I commented earlier on Shane, but he deserves a lot of credit this week!! For those of you who know Shane, you know that he is not one to get excited about food. Nothing really just tickles his fancy when it comes to food, unlike me, who absolutely LOVES food and gets really excited about getting to eat certain things or going out to eat. This has been a bone of contention for me in our marriage because I just could not relate to him or how he could not sing praises about my cooking!! ; ) (Not that I am a great cook, but some things I make taste really good to me!) Well, pregnancy has seemed to have taken my love of food away at this point. Nothing sounds good and honestly nothing really tastes just wonderful, unless it is chocolate!!! So on Wednesday, I was fixing supper and telling Shane that I could finally relate to him and his lack of excitement for food. I told him the only thing that even tasted good was sweets, and namely chocolate (which I am a chocoholic anyway). He just chuckled and said, "Finally!" So after supper, Shane was cleaning up the dishes and was taking longer than expected. I looked in the kitchen and he was measuring out some oil. He was making brownies!!! My husband who does not cook, nor does he care to cook, was making us brownies!! And they were wonderful - nice and warm and gooey!!! It honestly was the best thing I had eaten in weeks!!! Apparently my husband is hiding some of his talents, but seems to be letting them out at just the right time! So as much as I hate that I am like this right now with food, I am glad God has shown this to me so that I can understand Shane a little bit better and not become frustrated with him in this area.

How our baby is growing:

Our baby, just over 1 1/2 inches long and about the size of a fig, is now almost fully formed. Her hands will soon open and close into fists, tiny tooth buds are beginning to appear under her gums, and some of her bones are beginning to harden.

She's already busy kicking and stretching, and her tiny movements are so effortless they look like water ballet. These movements will become more frequent as her body grows and becomes more developed and functional.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot relate to a lack of excitement about food--except in your case with morning sickness. We just got back from a trip to Austin where everything (besides visiting with Beth and her husband) revolved around eating! I gave a full report in my blog (www.libbawoodruff.blogspot.com). Unfortunately, I do talk about bar-be-cue. Sorry. Love your updates!

    ReplyDelete