Thursday, July 16, 2009

10 Weeks 2 days

It is so hard to believe that now at 10 weeks, I am a fourth of the way through my pregnancy. This time is going to fly by so very fast! I am going to do my best not to complain about a thing, but instead enjoy every aspect of it (including nausea). I am still nauseated, some days being worse than others. I tried not taking my prenatal vitamin one night to see if that helped, but it did not. Like I told a friend at work, I guess I am just pregnant!!! : )

Sunday I bought my first piece of maternity clothing. It is not that I am showing, but I was so concerned that when we were at hot Alabama football games in the Fall I would have nothing to wear because all the clothes they will have out in October will be Fall/Winter clothes and I will be out of luck. So, I bought a cute little sleeveless cotton dress. Of course I had to explain to Shane my whole mentality on why I had to buy it now even though I am no bigger, but I think the explanation sufficed since he went along with me.

Just a side note: The books I read about pregnancy describe the baby as the size of a kumquat. I get tickled when I read that. When we lived in Texas, my parents had a kumquat tree that was always so full of kumquats. It was actually one of my favorite trees. I can so easily relate to that comparison since they always seemed to have kumquats in the fruit basket. The baby is so small, yet so big compared to the poppy seed size it was at 4 weeks!

How our baby is growing:

He is about the size of a kumquat - a little over an inch or so long - and weighs less than a quarter of an ounce. This is the beginning of the so-called fetal period, a time when the tissues and organs in his body rapidly grow and mature. Vital organs are in place and starting to function. He has tiny nails forming on his fingers and toes and peach-fuzz hair is beginning to grow on tender skin. His limbs can bend now. His hands are flexed at the wrist and meet over his heart, and his feet may be long enough to meet in front of his body. The outline of his spine is clearly visible through translucent skin, and spinal nerves are beginning to stretch out from his spinal cord.

No comments:

Post a Comment