Friday, July 31, 2015

A Little DIYing

Ever since we moved into this house, I have despised the yellow-orange color on the walls. I have been wanting to get it painted, however choosing a paint color has proven very difficult for me. After one year and fourteen paint samples later (literally, fourteen) I finally decided on a color.


So, mid July we had the interior of the house painted, minus the boys rooms and the guest room, since I know we will eventually be painting the boys room to match whatever 'decor' they pick out.

From yucky to pretty!
I can't tell you what a difference the paint has made. Everything looks so bright and clean. The only down side I see is that the carpet looks absolutely horrible now. I knew it was bad, but now with the pretty walls, my wood floors need to come sooner more so than later. To tell you how bad it looks, Shane, who has not been a fan of getting wood floors until the boys were a bit older, feels we should probably go ahead and get new floors. So, after much discussion, I think we have decided to put the kitchen upgrade off for another year or so and go ahead and get new floors. Woo Hoo! Stay tuned for that - since I already know exactly what I want, it should not take me forever to pick out a color.

Now that I feel like our house is becoming a home, I have started doing some things to work towards what I have envisioned for our home. The first thing I did was make a roman shade for our stairwell window. What Pinterest said would take 30 minutes or so took me well over 3 hours - darn that OCD. While I am not 100% totally pleased with my finished product, it definitely is better than what we had.



The second thing I have done is I used some hand me down door knobs from my sister, spruced them up with some oil rubbed bronze spray paint and changed out all our door knobs in the house. I love the way they look and am anxious to see how well the paint job holds up - yet another Pinterest find.

The knobs in a box


After 'ORBing' them
Installed on some upstairs doors

Unfortunately summer is coming to an end, so my DIYing may just have to slow down - not that it was in over drive or anything. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment