Tuesday, July 31, 2012

2 month Appointment

Today Casen had his 2 month appointment for a check up and immunizations. I had mixed emotions about this appointment because I was so excited to see what his measurements were, and of course so sad that he had to get shots. He did great despite the circumstances! He weighed 12 pounds 3.2 ounces and was 23 1/4 inches long. These measurements put him in the 73rd percentile for both height and weight!! Woo Hoo!!! I was so proud!!!!! After having a child who stayed in the 5th percentile, it is so nice to have one that has some fat rolls and meat on his bones - it makes me feel like I am finally doing something right!

While at his appointment, I talked to his pediatrician about what I thought was reflux. Casen does not spit up hardly at all like Camden did, however after he eats and he is either sitting in his bouncy seat or laying in bed (with his head elevated) you can hear milk come up into his mouth and him swallow several times while it takes his breath away and then he gasps for air. I figured it too was reflux and after several questions from the pediatrician, he confirmed that it definitely is. So, he prescribed Casen Prevacid 15mg 1/2 tablet twice daily. Luckily I still had some left over from Camden that had not expired, so we started it as soon as we got home. I will be looking forward to seeing if that helps his symptoms.

When it was time for his immunizations, he received his oral dose of medication and then he had to get five separate shots, three in the right leg and two in the left leg. Apparently there has been a national shortage of Pentacel, which is a combination shot that combines three of the vaccines. And since they were out, he had to get all five separately. Bless his little heart!!! Luckily after just a little crying, he was fine. However, the evening left a lot to be desired. He was so fussy the whole evening long and would cry out in pain. So I decided Tylenol was in order for him. But being the great nurse I am, I had no infant Tylenol in the house, so headed to Walgreens and picked him up some. After getting that in him, it seemed to help his discomfort. It made me so sad to see him like that. Next time, I will definitely medicate him with Tylenol prior to his vaccines and will be ready to give it after as needed.

Upset little guy

Three in the right, two in the left


No comments:

Post a Comment