Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Neurology Appointment

I had an appointment today with a neurologist, Dr. Santamaria. The main reason for this appointment was to get established with a neurologist in the event that the ocular neuritis reoccurs with this pregnancy, as well as the need to have a follow up MRI after the baby arrives.  Dr. Bruce recommended him and said I would like him. He did not disappoint. He was extremely nice and knowledgeable. He agreed with the treatment and follow up I have received up to this point regarding my ocular neuritis. After hearing my history and reviewing my past MRIs, he told me he truly did not think that the ocular neuritis would reoccur with this pregnancy - which I pray he is completely correct. However, if it does reoccur, he did let me know that I would have to go through the same testing and treatment as I did when pregnant with Camden. That would include a lumbar puncture, MRI and IV steroids. Then after the baby is born, he would recommend that I start medication for multiple sclerosis, but he said we would have to have much more discussion if that did occur. The only positive point that came with that bit of news is that he did not see the need for me to be admitted to the hospital if it did reoccur; he instead felt everything could be performed outpatient. So, the high point of the visit was the fact that he truly does not feel it will reoccur, and the low point is the fact that I would have to go through the same treatment if it does - UGH!!!! If no ocular neuritis occurs, he would still like to do a follow up MRI after the baby is born and again in 2 years. If those both look well, then he feels like I should be in the clear. I will continue to pray that the ocular neuritis does not reoccur not only with this pregnancy, but also in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment