Monday, October 24, 2016

Our First Jack-O-Lantern

There are certain things I have waited on until I felt both of the boys were old enough to enjoy before we did them. Carving pumpkins would be one of those things I have waited on until this year. The boys have been asking me for weeks when we could carve our pumpkin, but I have been holding them off in hopes that our pumpkin would make it to Halloween. Knowing that next weekend is a busy weekend with no time for pumpkin carving, we chose to go ahead and try to create a masterpiece out of a pumpkin this weekend.


We started the process yesterday afternoon, however had to finish it up this afternoon after school. Camden drew a picture of exactly what he wanted his pumpkin to look like, despite all the cool patterns we had with our pumpkin carving kit. I love that he has an idea in his head and does not stray from it.

We, of course, cut the top off and I encouraged the boys to get the guts out. Only one of the two would even remotely stick their hand in the pumpkin. Camden loved touching it, however Casen would not even dream of sticking his hand in that yucky mess.
I love the look on Casen's face!
After we go the guts cleaned out, Camden proceeded with drawing his design on the pumpkin. While he did that I cleaned the pumpkin seeds really well so we could make some roasted seeds. He and I both (and Casen long enough for me to get a picture) did some carving on the pumpkin until it was time for us to leave home to go to our Lifegroup.


Casen's carving was very short lived
Camden did an awesome job carving.

Our pumpkin until tomorrow . . . 

We resumed the pumpkin carving festivities after school today, or should I say 'I' resumed the festivities. Camden was done carving and Casen had very little interest in the whole pumpkin carving process. They apparently found playing soccer on the Playstation more entertaining than the pumpkin carving. So, following Camden's pattern, 'we' had a finished product in no time.

Our jack-o-lantern looked a lot like Camden's drawing

The end result

The pumpkin seeds were yummy!


I do believe our first year carving pumpkins was a success. Maybe next year, Casen will be a little more interested in the process, but in the meantime it was really fun to watch Camden and his creative side!

No comments:

Post a Comment