Monday, October 10, 2016

A Long Weekend

This weekend, Casen and I had a long three day weekend while Shane and Camden had to return to school on Monday. (They have a three day weekend next week.) My 98 1/2 year old grandmother is not doing too well right now due to temporal arteritis, so I decided that Casen and I would go to Kerrville this weekend and do some visiting. But first, Casen had a soccer game to play! He had a nice cheering section this morning since my sister, Mason and Braden all came to watch.


After his game, we headed to grandma and grandpas in Kerrville. We got there mid afternoon, so enjoyed just hanging out with my parents as well as my Uncle John (dad's brother), my Aunt Sue (dad's sister) and her husband, Jim.

Casen just chilling on the porch playing games on his phone
On Sunday, we went to church and then Casen did some fishing in the ponds with grandpa, catching 18 perch (with many more left to catch).

First catch of the day - proud fisherman.

Reeling it in

The biggest fish of the day - Casen was
a bit scared of it.
Later that day Aunt Sue brought Grandma Key out to my parents to enjoy the beautiful day and also for us to look at old pictures from my grandmother's child hood as well as young adult hood. It was really neat to see that, despite her having dementia, she still could identify most people in the pictures as well as where they took place, even though they were from the early 1900's.

John, Sue, Grandma Key, Dad

Casen had to get in the picture as well

Grandpa's buddy




















On Monday before we headed back home, Casen and I stopped by Grandma Key's to visit a bit before Uncle John took her to church (the Lutheran church comes there one Monday a month and brings communion). Casen and Uncle John did a lot of laughing and talking while we were there. Casen really took a liking to Uncle John, which was fun to watch.

Casen LOVED playing with Uncle John

Grandma Key and Casen - poor Grandma just
didn't really look nor feel herself since she was having
horrible headaches from the temporal arteritis.

I was glad that we had time off to be able to go and visit with family.  I learned a lot about my grandmother's past this weekend that I otherwise may never have known. The older I get the more I realize how fast time flies and if we don't take time to stop and enjoy those that are around us now, we might just miss the opportunity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment