Tuesday, December 17, 2013

18 Month Appointment and Walking

Today I took Casen in for his 18 month appointment. Honestly, I was really not looking forward to this appointment due to the fact I knew his doctor was not going to be pleased that he was not yet walking. Of course his appointment started out with obtaining his measurements, which his height was 34 inches (90th percentile for height) and his weight was 26 pounds 7.5 ounces (76th percentile for weight). He is doing everything he should be doing, aside from walking. When Dr. Worrall came in the room and he was going over all the information that the nurse obtained from us, he was not pleased that he was not walking. I told him that I had contacted ECI after his 15 month appointment per his request and that they did come out to the house for an evaluation, however Caen was still on the waiting list for a physical therapist. He was upset that ECI (our government) only had one physical therapist for all of Harris county and said it was unacceptable. He left me with a list of private physical therapists and told me that I needed to contact one of them. I was not thrilled to say the least - this is horrible to say but all I could see was dollar signs. Our insurance is not wonderful and we have a $2500 deductible so all I knew is I was about to be shelling out money just to get my stubborn boy to walk. Now believe me, I would pay whatever needed to help my child, however that doesn't mean it still doesn't hurt my feelings! When I got home and broke the news to Shane, his response to me was that we would not be calling a physical therapist, Casen would walk on his own.

Well, Shane was right. Perhaps Casen listened to what Dr. Worrall had to say about him needing to walk, or he knew I was stressing, or he was just ready (which is probably the case) but my baby finally started walking tonight! He took eight to ten steps in a row and did it multiple times. We were thrilled to say the least. And what was so neat is Casen was soooo proud of himself. Woo Hoo!!!!!!

Taking his first steps

No comments:

Post a Comment