Friday, October 11, 2013

Revenge of the Reflux . . . . Take Two

As you recall, at Casen's 15 month appointment Dr. Worrall had me do two things - first, call ECI to set up an evaluation for Casen since he is not walking and second, to wean Casen off of his reflux medicine. So the day after his appointment I called ECI and was told that I would hear from them in 45 days. Now honestly, I thought she said 'four to five' days, however it has been several weeks and I also did a referral on line and have heard nothing so I guess it was forty five days. If that is the case, I pray I can tell them Casen is walking by then!

As for the weaning of the reflux medicine. I did as the doctor recommended by having Casen take it every other day for a week and then stop it all together. Well, just as it went with our attempt when he was 9 months old, he quit eating and then started decreasing his fluids this past weekend. Since this was not our first rodeo, I went ahead and restarted his Zantac and also started him on Maalox. On Monday I called the doctor to see what dosage of Zantac he needed to be on since Dr. Worrall had felt like the dose he was on probably was not helping him anyway. They almost doubled the dosage he was on (3.5cc twice daily), which was not surprising since he has been on the same dosage since he was an infant. Slowly but surely he has been increasing his food and fluid intake and today when I picked him up from school, Ms. Karen told me that he pretty much ate all of his lunch, which was a whole ham and cheese sandwich, Cheetos puffs and two fig newtons. Yes, he is a little piggy wiggy when his reflux is under control and it is food he likes!  So, I think we just might be back on track! I must admit, it bothers me that he has not outgrown the reflux by now, but for the time being I guess we will just stay on the medicine and pray that it will resolve on its own in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment