Sunday, May 19, 2013

My 40th Birthday Weekend

All I can say is thank goodness for two wonderful girlfriends and a wonderful husband - otherwise I may have lost my sanity! Friday was my 40th birthday and honestly, I was not looking forward to it. I know 40 is a number, but it is not a number I would choose to be. Luckily, with the help of some great co-workers, my morning started off pretty darn good. I opened my clinic to find it decorated with balloons, cupcakes, and chocolate. I received more cupcakes, cookies, and other goodies.


The majority of my coworkers that came by to tell me Happy Birthday had on either all black or orange, my favorite color. One of my wonderful coworkers had emailed the whole staff the day prior telling them to wear orange or black in my honor - it was really nice to see all the people that did dress accordingly - I was just so glad everyone was not in black! The morning was very pleasant and seemed to be going well, until I got an email from Camden's school at 11:15 telling me he had a fever of 102.2 and was complaining of a sore throat and stomach ache. My first thought was strep. I generally do not take my boys to the doctor unless they have been sick for several days, however since this was Friday and his symptoms sounded like strep, I decided to take him. They performed a strep test which was negative and said that it was probably viral and should be gone in 3 to 5 days. So needless to say, my day was going down hill. We went and picked up Casen from school after the doctor and headed home. So, the thoughts of going out for dinner as a family went by the way side. Honestly, we didn't even celebrate my birthday since Camden did not feel good and Casen was not up to par either.

Now, on a side note, I knew that my friend Lisa was coming in town for the weekend and that she and Lorrie and I were all to get together to celebrate my birthday, however we had not made any certain plans. I did not know how this was going to affect the weekend, but after talking with Shane, he told me to go ahead and go out to eat with the girls! Woo Hoo! So I met them at Pappacitos and had a great time socializing and bless their hearts, they had to listen to me vent for awhile about the lovely day of turning 40!


Saturday morning Camden woke up with high fever, 103.4 and had a high pitched cough, the 'barking seal' cough. He looked and sounded miserable and he was not breathing very easy. So I pulled out the nebulizer and decided to give him Pulmicort and Albuterol mixed to get him on the right track. Casen slept in until 8:30, which is unheard for him, but he wasn't up too long before he started being a fuss bucket. Luckily no temp, just fussiness. He really hadn't been drooling, but when I looked in his mouth, I found he was cutting his right upper front tooth. Fun, fun! When Shane woke up I headed to CVS for more Ibuprofen as well as some cough syrup for Camden. After I got home, Shane asked me what my plan for the day was and I told him he was looking at it - taking care of the boys. He told me to go spend the day with Lisa and Lorrie - once again, Woo Hoo!!!! So I got myself together and headed to the Woodlands for a pedicure and dinner again. Once again, so nice to be with the girls.

Today, Camden still had fever this morning and has still been getting breathing treatments. His cough does sound  a little better, however his fever spikes every time it is time for medicine! If tomorrow he is not improved, I guess we will head back to the doctor. This afternoon after Shane got home from church and we had eaten lunch, he got out my birthday cake, which was in ice cream cake from Baskin Robbins - YUM!!!! So sad that our weekend has been such that we haven't had cake until today, however that is the life of being a mom, right?




No comments:

Post a Comment