Friday, April 19, 2013

Revenge of the Reflux

As you may recall, Casen was previously on reflux medicine, but after his 9 month appointment, his doctor and I decided we could try taking him off the medicine since it seemed like he was doing well and generally infants grow out of their reflux between 6 and 12 months. Well, all had been well until Friday when he had a touch of the stomach bug and vomited twice that morning. He was chipper by the afternoon, however his appetite was not the best. I did not fret over it since generally it takes a few days to get over the stomach bug. As he went through the week, things did not improve and basically he would not eat solid food, and consumed anywhere between 12 and 15 ounces of formula a day. He was not displeasant or really fussy, he just wasn't his normal happy self. As a matter of fact, he had not jumped in his bouncer (one of his all time favorite things) in over a week because when I put him in it he would just cry. So, Thursday I finally gave up and took him to the doctor to see what he thought. After Dr. Worrall looked him over and really did not find anything wrong, I told him about how since he was sick on Friday he was having a lot of 'wet burps' where he would burp up something and then swallow it down and it was happening far more frequently than previously. He recommended I start him on Maalox 2ml twenty to thirty minutes prior to him eating. Well can I tell you as of this afternoon, he was back to being my happy, big eating baby boy. I am one happy momma!


No comments:

Post a Comment