Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Flu

Since Monday I have been feeling miserable. I was sitting in a meeting Monday morning feeling very dizzy and unlike myself. When I returned to the clinic I had my clinic assistant take my temperature and sure enough, I had fever. Now the last time that I can honestly even recall having fever is when I was in junior high and had strep throat. So to say the least, apparently I was sick. But being the hard headed person I am, I took some ibuprofen and continued on my day. On Tuesday, I woke up feeling perhaps a bit better, and knew that I had training for a new computer program that we will be using next year. So, I headed to work and managed through the day. However, I noticed that I was obtaining a cough that was worsening as the day went on. When I got home Tuesday afternoon, I took my temperature and it was 1o1.0. Lovely!!! I put in my absence for Wednesday and decided that I would go to the doctor first thing Wednesday morning since I knew I had to have something that needed treatment. I honestly was trying to tell myself that it was probably just bronchitis, but knowing that I am consistently around children with the flu and strep, I was afraid it was the flu.

Wednesday morning, I was at the Redi-Clinic first thing and after being tested for the flu, which can I say is a very unpleasant experience, it appeared that I tested positive for Influenza Type A. I was given Tamiflu as well as a cough syrup/antihistamine syrup to help with the cough/congestion. Of course, it is contagious, but with good hand washing and covering my cough, I can help prevent others from getting it.

The only thing that has continuously been going through my mind is the possibility of transmitting this miserable flu to my family - namely Camden. He has been having a cough since Friday, but no fever. I did contact his doctor to make sure they did not want to give him Tamiflu prophylactically, and they just recommended what I already knew, good hand washing techniques and if he started with any fever, to bring him in within 48 hours so they could start the appropriate medication for him. So basically since I was diagnosed, I have not had very much contact with him, which to me is probably more miserable than the flu. I hate not being able to love on my baby. I can only hope and pray that I have not exposed anyone to the flu!

Do you know how hard it is not to be able to love on this precious angel?

No comments:

Post a Comment