Friday, March 11, 2011

And Yet, Even More Illness

As we have all been trying to recuperate from our various illnesses, Camden just has not seemed to improve at all. He still is wheezing despite getting his breathing treatments every four hours. When I picked him up from school yesterday, he sounded worse, and I had pretty much already decided I would need to call the doctor today to let them know and see what else they could recommend. With my parents coming into town today to keep Camden while we head to Alabama to get our belongings, I did not want them to have to deal with a sick child the whole weekend. Well, Camden also thought I should call the doctor because at 3:00 am I heard him crying in his room and when I went to check on him he was burning up with fever, 102.8. I medicated him and then we laid on the couch until he fell asleep, which was about 45 minutes before it was time for me to get up to get ready for the day.

When Shane woke up, I told him not to plan on going to school, but instead to the doctor with Camden. I could not stay home because I had to teach 4th and 5th grade girls growth and development today - Woo Hoo!!! (A bit more about that later!) So, off to work I went with Camden and Shane left behind to go to the doctor. I made Camden's appointment and off they went at 1:20 pm. Dr. Taylor did not think his ears had improved since his appointment last Friday and due to his symptoms, went ahead and tested him for flu, which was negative. Luckily, Shane said the flu test did not seem near as bad for Camden as it was for me, thank goodness!!! So she changed his antibiotic to Augmentin and then added another breathing treatment, Pulmicort, to mix with his Albuterol in his morning and nightly breathing treatments. Luckily, Camden is still so good to take his breathing treatments Now with the combination of two medications, it takes 20 minutes to give him the treatment, but he sits through it so nice and takes it like a champ!!! He has still had fever all day, but we are hoping with the new antibiotic that it will kick in soon and he can be fever free for Grandma and Grandpa Key.


Now, about the Human Growth and Development class I had to teach the 4th and 5th grade girls. As the school nurse, it is one of my many glamorous jobs to teach the girls about puberty. Luckily, a male teacher teaches the boys, and I get the girls. This was the first year that we have had to introduce this material to the 4th grade girls, but due to puberty happening earlier in life now, they made it mandatory that we instructed both the 4th and 5th graders, with their parent's consent. So I had the video and power point presentation that all the nurses would use. It is amazing that those girls were giddy and could hardly contain themselves anytime they heard the word 'breast' or 'pubic'. Luckily the 4th graders did not ask too many questions, but unfortunately I could not say the same for the 5th graders. We were instructed that if they asked any questions that did not pertain to the information given, then we were to tell them they needed to talk to their parents regarding their question. However, most of the questions were things I could or should answer. Some of the questions were, "You mean, we lay eggs?" (no, I am not kidding - that was from a 5th graders mouth), "Can you die from wearing a tampon?" and "Why do you have to wrap your pad up to throw it in the garbage?" UGH!!!

Luckily, all that fun talk is done until next year! I can hardly wait to do it all over again!!!! ; ) Off to rest, as we are leaving bright and early in the morning for Alabama to pack up all our belongings and bring them back to Tomball to put in storage.

No comments:

Post a Comment