Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day 2010


As I have mentioned before, Camden and I are very lucky to have Shane in our lives. As I just typed that sentence, it dawned on me that Shane says there is no such thing as luck - it is all part of God's plan. So let me rephrase that first sentence and say that we are very blessed to have him in our lives! During pregnancy I saw a soft side of Shane that I liked and appreciated. But after Camden's birth, I saw a side of him that still leaves me in awe. Shane was and is a great father. He has helped me in ways that I never expected. When Camden was a newborn and was eating every 3 hours, Shane was so good to stay awake with Camden till one or two in the morning while I got a cat nap, even though he was to get up around 5:30 am to get ready to go do his student teaching. When he got home from school, he would entertain Camden while I did a few odds and ends around the house. After he finished his student teaching, Shane became a full time stay at home dad, and let me just say, he is an AWESOME one!! Camden has turned into a Daddy's boy. He absolutely LOVES Shane and they know each other inside and out. Shane has Camden trained and Camden has Shane trained - they are really amazing to watch. I know the experts say that children should not watch TV until they are two, but can I tell you, those two watching sports together is one of the cutest things. You would think that Camden knows exactly what is going on when he is watching baseball, soccer, basketball or tennis. Now he does get a little startled when Shane yells at the TV, but he is just in training for football season!! Shane's mom tells me that Shane started watching baseball on TV when he was 3 months old, so I have a feeling Camden is just following in his daddy's footsteps.


Sleeping like his daddy


Watching sports with his daddy

Something that amazes me is the way that Camden already does things that are just like Shane. For instance, when he falls asleep with his hands behind his head, or the certain way he does things with his feet and toes just like his daddy. He gives some of the same type of looks that Shane does, like looking out of the top of his eyes at you. I can only pray that he also ends up with some of the awesome qualities that Shane possesses.

And while I am talking about dad's, can I say that I have a great one myself. I always say that I am an engineer's daughter, and really, that sums up a lot. My dad has instilled some great qualities in me that I am very grateful for. I always viewed him as a bit on the stern side growing up, but now I find him very humorous and loving. I absolutely love the relationship that I have with my parents as I age. I can still look to my dad for advice and think of him as one of the smartest people I know. He is also a wonderful grandfather and I can not wait for us to move to Texas so that he and my mom can be a bigger part of our lives!

Sometimes you never understand why you have to go through certain things in life to get where you are, but I can assure you, I know exactly why God put me through some of the unpleasant things in my life. I can truly appreciate the great father that not only my dad is, but also the one Shane is.



2 comments:

  1. I seriously do not think Shane and Camden could be any cuter together. Love the post!

    ReplyDelete