Friday, June 12, 2009

5 Weeks 3 days - First appointment

Today I had my first OBGYN appointment. It had actually been scheduled for a year, since it was 'supposed' to be my yearly appointment. So upon arrival, I informed the nurse that I had two positive tests the week prior. She performed her own test and confirmed what I had known, but was still having a hard time believing. I then met with the insurance lady, and a nurse that asked me a lot of questions regarding our family history and then I met with my physician, Dr. DiPiazza. I absolutely fell in love with her last year, so was glad I was still here in Alabama for my pregnancy. (Although I still can't believe my child will be born in Alabama instead of Texas!!!) She discussed the different things that they are concerned about with me being considered 'Advanced Maternal Age' or AMA. Since I am now 36, the possibility of having a child with a chromosomal disorder are increased. I feel that I can only do my part in this by eating well, drinking lots of fluids, and avoiding environmental hazards in order to have a happy and healthy baby. Other than that, it is in God's hands. She scheduled me for an ultrasound in two weeks just to check things out and of course I had my prenatal lab work done.

When I arrived home after work, I was hit in the face with the aroma of brownies. Shane and Connor (my step-son) had made brownies and were planning to make burritos and tacos for supper. Now any one that knows my husband, knows he does not step foot in the kitchen except to fix his breakfast or a sandwich for lunch. So to say the least, I was very pleasantly surprised! And I might add, everything they fixed was very good!!! So it was a nice ending to a good day.

How our baby is growing:

At this point, he's about the size of a sesame seed, and he looks more like a tiny tadpole than a human. The neural tube — from which the baby's brain, spinal cord, nerves, and backbone will sprout — is starting to develop in the top layer, called the ectoderm. This layer will also give rise to his skin, hair, nails, mammary and sweat glands, and tooth enamel.

His heart and circulatory system begin to form in the middle layer, or mesoderm. (This week, in fact, his tiny heart begins to divide into chambers and beat and pump blood.) The mesoderm will also form the baby's muscles, cartilage, bone, and subcutaneous (under skin) tissue.

The third layer, or endoderm, will house his lungs, intestines, and urinary system, as well as his thyroid, liver, and pancreas. In the meantime, the placenta and umbilical cord, which deliver nourishment and oxygen to the baby, are already on the job.



No comments:

Post a Comment