Saturday, June 25, 2022

Pine Cove Outback 2022


This week is one that Camden has been looking forward to since he left Pine Cove last year. Since this was his second year and I knew what to expect, it was easier to pack and I don't think he and I were as nervous.


This year he went with his friends Trennan, Cole and Tyce. Camden and I  rode up with Cole and his mom and met the other boys and their parents at the Mr. Gatti's in Brenham. We then headed to Columbus to Pine Cove. The boys wanted to get there early to ensure that they would get a top bunk. Once there, the boys all piled up in Tyce's mom's vehicle so they could enter through the gates together. 




First top - pickle ball!

Mission accomplished - top bunk!


When we got to the cabin, we met the boys counselor,  Diesel. He is from Nebraska and is headed into his last year of college. While making Camden's bed, I heard Diesel speaking to Trennan's dad and he was not raised in a home where they went to church regularly. He said it was a loving home, but it was not until he got to college that he established a relationship with the Lord. I had no doubt he would have some things to share and teach the boys this week.  

As to be expected, I stalked the Pine Cove app daily to find pics of Camden. 

First theme night was Rumble in the Jungle - 
Camden was in his safari outfit.




All the boys in his cabin - the other
four were friends from Austin.


I could see his little face and it looked like
he was having a ball at the 
Space Jam Odyssey


Despite his face in this pic, he said he had a good
time riding horses. 

Getting ready for Battle at the Billabong



Time to wakeboard

Operation Infiltration

I send 3 letters in Camden's trunk, one for him to open on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. On Tuesday and Thursday, we are able to send him a letter through the Pine Cove App and he in turn can write to us and we receive them on Wednesday and Friday. So, as you can imagine I was stalking the app waiting for our letter. The day came and went and no letter. . .  I was beside myself. It is not mandatory that they write a letter home, but surely MY child knows he needs to write his momma. I contacted Cole's mom and she too did not receive a letter. I went to bed sad - Shane said he wasn't really surprised, but I was. But then, Thursday morning, my letter arrived. Woo Hoo!!! I guess Pine Cove may have been having some issues. And on Friday I received my second letter.  


                            

Late Night at the Outback - their
last night at camp.

Today was the day to pick up our campers. Casen had a baseball tournament, so Shane could not go and unfortunately I came down with COVID on Thursday and was absolutely miserable laid up on the couch with a fever I couldn't break, a horrible headache and cough. I was so upset that I was not able to be there to pick Camden up, hug his neck and hear all about his time at camp on the drive home. Luckily, Cole's mom had no problem picking him up and made sure to take pictures and a video of Camden when he received his Character Qualities (CQs), which were enthusiastic, friendly and joyful.


Camden enjoyed Diesel  - he said he was strict
but really liked him.

This is the second year one of his 
CQs has been joyful. 

Camden and I were so sad we couldn't hug, sit and talk about his week. Instead, he stayed away from me and we talked between rooms about his time at Pine Cove. He tried some new things and made new friends. When I told him I missed him so much, he said he had a great time but was glad he was home. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment