Sunday, March 20, 2022

Frozen Shoulder

Sometime in January I started having issues with my left shoulder. In the past I have had some twinges of pain in the shoulder that resolved over time. Truthfully, I thought this was the same issue, however after a few weeks of horribly discomfort that would just about bring me to my knees if I moved my arm a certain way as well as the mobility in my arm decreasing, I knew it must be something worse. I had pretty much resolved myself to the fact that I somehow must have torn my rotator cuff and started researching what I was going to need to do to get it repaired. It appeared surgery was the only choice and I was not a fan! But in the midst of my research I came across this website that had a test you could do to see if it really was your rotator cuff. I could do some of the things that you shouldn't be able to do with a torn rotator cuff and it mentioned something about a possible frozen shoulder. I remember my mom having that when I was a kid, but did not remember the specifics about it. The more I read about it, the more convinced I was that that was my issue. 

This was the highest I could raise
my left arm without excruciating pain






















I made an appointment to see our favorite orthopedist, and on February 23rd saw Dr. George (who used to coach Casen in basketball) and after some x-rays and evaluation he confirmed frozen shoulder - thank the Lord. My options were to do nothing and it should resolve in two years (uh, no thank you) or I could go to physical therapy. I of course chose the later, so he scheduled me for PT, which I started on March 8th and went once a week for 6 weeks and did exercises at home to help it 'unfreeze'.

March 18th - out to the side

March 21 - raising it from the front


I am still not perfect, and but I am much better than I was. 


No comments:

Post a Comment