Wednesday, May 17, 2023

The Big 5-0

Birthdays are not my thing. I have friends who love having birthdays and celebrate all month long. That just isn't me. I guess I really need to change my way of thinking, especially now that I am on the downslide. Now let's be honest, I probably have been on the downslide for several years, but I like to think that since my grandma lived to be 103, that I might too. But do I really want to live that long?!?!?!? Probably not so much.

So, of course, this being the big 5-0 I was not really looking forward to it. In all honesty, we have been so busy it kind of crept up on me. But thankfully, I have co-workers who would not let me forget it. As I arrived at work today, I was greeted with signs strategically posted throughout the floor of our building, encouraging people to come by and wish me a happy birthday. So much for staying on the down low! As I made my way closer to our office sweet I was welcomed with a large sign.


Once I made my way to my office, I found it to be nicely decorated (finally, since I really have yet to decorate since moving in) with a tiara and sash awaiting.


After dawning the sash and crown, I wandered over to my boss' secretary to speak to her about something and out comes my boss with the following basket. Now if you knew my boss, the contents of this basket would be even funnier. He is honestly one of the most positive, uplifting, supportive  God-fearing people I have ever meet, who unfortunately he is retiring at the end of June. When he handed me the basket, he asked me not to look at everything right then, then changed his tune and told me to go ahead and look at it. I was very shocked when I opened up the shirt. 


I had not been back at my desk very long before my sister texted me and asked if she could come up and bring my birthday card. Well, when she arrived with the card, she too had a basket and it dawned on me that Sarah, my coworker, had set up all of this! She is a jokester and made sure that I was celebrated appropriately. :) The khaki color thing in the basket is underwear with butt padding - which I told her I was actually excited about because I definitely could use them!!


The morning progressed, and next thing I knew, our superintendent, Dr. Henry marched in my office with a Dr. Seuss book. Who knew that Dr. Seuss wrote a book just for us old fogies!!! Dr. Henry was very kind and told me he had a discussion with his secretary and they were shocked that I was 50 as he thought I was more like 30. Right then and there that man became my best friend!!


My co-workers spoiled me with gifts, took me to lunch at Gringo's and then came back to a cookie ice cream cake.


Once I got him, it was practice for both boys, so we scarfed down some pizza and then divided and conquered. Once we all met back up the boys gave me their cards before retiring to bed. You just have to appreciate Casen and his jokester self!


As much as I was dreading this day, I am so very grateful for Sarah and my coworkers for making it a special day! Here's to another 50 . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment