Sunday, February 28, 2021

Reunited

I called my mom today to chat and she told me that she and Dad had a window visit with grandma. She said grandma did not appear to being doing well and was not very attentive during the visit, which is hard when you are one side of the window and she is on the other. Once they got home, dad received a call from the hospice nurse asking him if he wanted to actually go inside and visit with her. So for the first time in over a year, dad got to have an up close and personal visit with grandma. According to my mom, the visit was not great as grandma goes in and out of being awake. When I asked if I could come and visit, my dad was not sure if I would be allowed in and he felt that I should remember her when she was better. Honestly, I did not care how she was, I just wanted to touch her and hug her one more time.

That evening I went with Melissa and Shawn to watch Braden play soccer. This was the first time I had been able to go this season. With COVID, they started out saying only 4 people from a family could go at a time and with our families schedule, there was never a good time I could go. He and his team played well and won. They are having a great season and I really enjoy watching him play!



On Thursday, mom texted me and asked if I still wanted to go in and see grandma. They only allow one person at a time and my aunt was coming in late Friday evening and staying through Monday. Well of course I would!!! We have a tournament scheduled for this weekend, with the first game being Friday night at 6:00pm and then two games Saturday and then Sunday if they win and Camden had soccer Saturday morning, but surely I could make it there. So we decided I would take off work Friday, leave for Kerrville the same time the boys go to school, around 6:30am, and then I would head home after my visit so I could be home in time for Casen's baseball game.

So I did just that. After I got Casen dressed up as an old man (basically a shirt and tie) for the 100th day of school, snapped a picture of him and sent them on their way, I headed for Kerrville. 


I got to my parents around 10:00 or so and had an appointment for 11:30. My dad drove me to the nursing home, I got signed in and took my COVID test. I swore I would never take a COVID test, but for my grandma, I would do anything. They had me swab myself and I was a nervous wreck doing it. What if I was asymptomatic positive and drove all this way for something I have been waiting to do for over a year and tested positive??? I would be distraught. Luckily, I was negative. I put on my N95 they issued me and headed in to see my sweet grandma. She definitely did not look as good as the last time I saw her. She had lost weight and seemed very weak. She of course knew who I was and was happy to see me. We took selfies together, as we always do and I got some great smiles out of her. She of course asked about my boys and then napped quite a bit. When her lunch came, I attempted to feed her some, but she took maybe 3 bites and was done. It was hard to see her that way, but oh my gosh, it was so good to hug her and love on her. I was not in a good place prior to this visit and was angry that if something happened to her that I never got to love on her one last time. But I can tell you, if the good Lord was to take her home now, I would be at peace. 



After my visit with grandma, and a brief visit with my parents, I headed back home, picked up Camden and headed to the ball field to watch Casen play some baseball. It was a great game and after having a double and base clearing triple, Casen was named player of the game. 




Caden House or Casen Hood?? LOL
So proud!

It was a great weekend of games for the boys. Camden won his first soccer game of the season and Casen's team won their first tournament of the season. I know I say it all the time, but I so love watching my boys play the games they love.


Camden going against his friend
and classmate, Moneet.






Check out the Green Ring!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment