Saturday, December 16, 2017

Grandma Key's 100th Birthday Celebration

Today we had the privilege of celebrating my Grandma Key's 100th birthday.  Her actual birth date is Christmas day, however today we celebrated her. All of her children, along with 4 of her 9 grandchildren all gathered to celebrate. When I visited her around Thanksgiving, she told me that my dad had told her that we were having a party and she wanted no part of it. She has always told me she did not want to live to be 100, but personally, I couldn't imagine life without her here. I am glad she has made it to see 100 and pray that we will be able to celebrate many more birthdays!

So what do you get someone for their 100th birthday???? Honestly, there is nothing my grandmother wanted or needed. However, when I am with her and we look at pictures on my phone of her grandchildren and great grandchildren, she always comments that she doesn't feel like she knows her own family. Honestly, she has not met a lot of her great grandchildren and hasn't seen some of her grandchildren in quite a few years. I wanted to somehow make a pictorial family tree to hang in her room to help her keep everyone straight. I sent an email to each of her children as well as all my cousins requesting a family picture. With the help of Melissa, we finally ended up with something for her to hang on her wall.


We held her birthday celebration at the Buckhorn Club House (where mom and dad live). Mom made a scrumptious dinner of ham, gourmet potatoes, green beans, corn, salad and rolls. Mom made a chocolate sheet cake (one of grandma's favorites) and then we had a birthday cake for her that was Italian creme cake. It was fun visiting with everyone and listening to grandma talk about the past. She truly is an amazing woman! How fortunate we are to have Alice Key in our lives - so glad she is MY grandma!!!!


Grandma had just arrived and was
so surprised to see everyone
Grandma with 5 of her great grandchildren

Melissa's family with Grandma

Grandma and her kids.















Our family and Grandma Key
The boys had fun with her '100' ballots








Uncle John and JK

Chris holding Melissa and my gift to Grandma 
Cousins


Grandma with four of her grandchildren



No comments:

Post a Comment