Monday, February 16, 2015

Do It For Grace

One of the students at my school, who happens to be one of my sister's families dear friends, was diagnosed with leukemia on January 15th. Her name is Grace and she is a beautiful girl. As soon as we found out, I knew the school needed to do something to show their support for Grace and her family. With the help of a wonderful lady name Kelli from the Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center, I organized a blood drive in honor of Grace.


 
The amazing support from our community was awesome. A local Bahama Bucks contacted me so that they could give me free coupons to hand out to those who donated, or attempted to donate. About 4 years ago (prior to my working there), the school I work at had a blood drive due to another one of our students having leukemia. They had 33 donors that day. When I saw that number, I felt it was a little low, knowing how big of a volunteer base we have. However, the blood center only had that number to go on. We set up a schedule so that people could go and schedule an appointment and within two days our schedule was full. So they opened up the schedule even more to 50 slots (I think). Well, we ended up with 63 donors and a total of 76 blood products (due to those who gave double red blood cells! That is a total of 228 lives saved! What an awesome turn out and an awesome day.



Shawn even donated!



No comments:

Post a Comment