Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Too Much Illness

When Casen woke up last Tuesday morning he was wheezing and just not breathing very well. I went ahead and gave him two breathing treatments, one Albuterol, the other Budesonide (a steroid), to help clear him up. I also sent his nebulizer to school as well and asked them to give him a treatment every four hours. This went on for days, with no real improvement, however he did not seem to get any worse. On Saturday he woke up and looked like he had pink eye, which had been going around his classroom. So I started treating him with drops we had from a previous bout of conjunctivitis.  Well, don't you know, by Sunday morning he was still having discharge from his eye and I was running out of drops. So I took him to urgent care to get more drops and the doctor was more concerned with his wheezing (which being the great nurse and mom I had not yet given him his morning treatment) than his eye. She prescribed him more drops and sent us on our way, advising we follow up with the pediatrician on Monday. That afternoon I ended up with pink eye in my right eye as well, which I have never had, so I was glad we had the drops.

On Monday, Casen did not seem to be getting any better with his breathing and his eyes were only a little better but we went on with the same regimen. This morning, however, when he woke up he had a little bit of a fever and his breathing seemed a tad worse. So after a week of trying to battle it myself, I decided to raise the white flag and take him to the doctor. At his appointment with Dr. Worrall he weighed in at 21 pounds 8 ounces. Dr. Worrall diagnosed him with bronchiolitis, a right ear infection and of course conjunctivitis. He changed his eye drops, started him on Prednisone as well as Amoxicillin. He advised me to continue the Albuterol treatments every 4 hours, however told me to stop the steroid treatment and instead use the ProAir Inhaler as they have found that the steroid inhaler works better than it given via nebulizer. Don't you just love how things change in two years time?? So, it looks like twice a day he will be getting a pharmacy of medications! Just so long as we get him well in time for his birthday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment