Sunday, November 18, 2012

My Poor Sick Baby

When Casen woke up on Sunday, I noticed he had a little cough, but did not fret too much about it. However, when he woke up on Monday, he sounded like a barking seal. My diagnosis was croup and pretty much assumed we would be sitting in a hot steamy shower and giving breathing treatments if he started getting wheezy. So of course he went to school and I anticipated that they would call me to let me know he had fever, but the call never came, thankfully. That night we did sit in the steamy shower as well as put the humidifier in his room, but no breathing treatments seemed to be in order. Tuesday, much of the same occurred, however he now had a runny nose and just seemed to be worsening. That evening I gave him his first ever breathing treatment, which I say he tolerated like a champ!


By Wednesday Casen sounded even worse and his nose was running like a faucet. His appetite decreased and despite being miserable, he still kept smiling. When I arrived at daycare Wednesday afternoon, I was informed that one of his friends in class had been diagnosed with RSV. Lovely! I should have known it was worse than croup! Honestly, the majority of the kiddos in his class had been out at least one if not more days ill with the same stuff he had, but being the great mom I am, I kept sending him to school. By Thursday, I figured I better make him an appointment because he was not getting much better and I really needed them to be able to give him breathing treatments at school, but knew they could not do so unless he had medicine with his name, not Camden's on it. Also, his eating had really decreased and I wanted to make sure it was not an ear infection keeping him from wanting to eat.

So that afternoon, we went to the doctor. He weighed in at 15 pounds 8.7 ounces. I am sure he had lost weight during the week due to his poor food consumption. The doctor listened to him and checked him thoroughly. I informed him of the diagnosed cases of RSV in our class and he told me that he did not check for RSV because there was no different treatment than what we would do for his bronchiolitis since he was not a preemie, which was fine with me. He said his ears looked great and he did have some wheezing. He told me not to fret about his decreased eating that he would make up for it and he prescribed Casen some of his very own Albuterol for breathing treatments.

The next few days he did not seem to improve however he really did not get any worse. We gave him breathing treatments every 4 hours and Friday night was a veeerrrryyyyy long night. He did not seem to sleep at all, so between breathing treatments, cuddling him and feeding him he and I pretty much did not sleep! I think that was my first time in over 2 1/2 years of being a mom that I had my first sleepless night. It is now Sunday, and I feel like he probably is improving, thank goodness. Luckily, he has been pleasant, despite the cough and runny nose. I pray we don't have to deal with RSV again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment