Friday, September 7, 2012

Happy 13 Week Birthday

Yesterday Casen turned 13 weeks and it is a day I will not soon forget. He woke up yesterday morning in a very pleasant mood as usual, however on our way to school, I heard a sound that I knew for a fact was projectile vomiting! After confirmation from Camden that Casen indeed threw up, we continued on to school because honestly I thought it was because he had too much mucous in his little tummy. (Unfortunately he suffers from allergies like the everyone else in our family.) When we got to school, I told one of his teachers, Ms. Ellen, of what occurred and she encouraged me to head off to work that she would get him changed and take care of him. Well, by 9:30 or so I received an email from daycare just informing me that he had vomited two more times, but they too thought it was caused from his mucous due to the consistency (TMI, I know - sorry!) Well, by 10:30 they called and asked me to pick him up because he had vomited yet again and it was not due to him being choked on mucous or anything. So, after lining up coverage for my job, I headed to get my sweet angel. Unfortunately he vomited several more times once I got him home. Now let me tell you, I realize that I am a nurse and I take care of kiddos for a living, however when it comes to my own children, any nursing knowledge I have flies out the window and I panic - especially since he is 13 weeks old, not keeping any breast milk down, and sleeping any chance he could get. All I could think about was that he was going to get dehydrated and horrible that would be. He ended up sleeping most of the afternoon and was without vomiting for 4 hours or so and I was thinking we were on the upside of it all. I finally fed him an ounce or so of breast milk, which stayed down, so after an hour he got 1 1/2 ounces of breast milk and after that stayed down, he got 2 ounces only for it to return all over him and me. So what I thought was the upside, quickly turned south. He ended up vomiting several more times in the evening and finally a little after 11:00 pm Shane gave him 1 ounce of breast milk to see if he could keep it down, which he did. I put his pack and play up in our room because I sure didn't want him upstairs in his crib with the possibility of him vomiting. I will have you know he slept all night and didn't really wake up until after 7:00 am this morning thank the Lord. I am reluctant, but happy to say that thus far he is doing well. I let him eat for 5 minutes and after being very chatty and happy this morning, he is napping as I type this. I pray we are done with this stomach virus, because let me tell you, it is no fun for a 13 week old, much less this ol' momma!! Not a way to celebrate turning 13 weeks!

Sporting one of many onesies he had on yesterday!
And of course, extra blankets and burp cloths handy!

No comments:

Post a Comment