Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering 9/11

Today marked the tenth anniversary of the events of 9/11. Even with my horrible memory, I remember that day like it were yesterday. At that time, I was working as an RN in the emergency room in Orange, Texas. It was my day off and I got out of bed and plopped myself on the couch to watch TV. I had only been watching TV for about 10 minutes or so before a plane hit the first of the Twin Towers. Watching what I thought was a freak accident was short lived as the second plane hit the second of the Towers. It was then that everyone knew the plane crashes were no accident. I called my mom on the phone as I watched the television in awe. We watched TV together over the phone and discussed in disbelief what was going on. That day would change our world as we knew it forever. It is amazing how that day has made me question my safety doing things in my everyday life. I know when we went to football games at the University of Alabama sometimes I would think to myself that if anyone wanted to rid of over 100,00 people they could bomb the stadium on any given Saturday during football season. Also, when I would go to Nascar races, the same thing would go through my head. Crazy, I know, but it is one of the few things that 9/11 did to me. This morning as they televised the remembrance they had in New York, at the Pentagon and in Pittsburgh, I cried. What a great tragedy that day was and still is for so may Americans. Many children are growing up without a parent (which I could not even imagine) and many parents are going through life without their children - once again something I could not imagine. So many people made selfless acts that day to save someone they had never met at the expense of their own life. It makes me wonder - would I do the same? I would like to think that I would, but unless I was put in that situation I guess I will never know. I pray for any and everyone that 9/11 has and continues to affect. As I am remembering the events of 9/11, may I also remark that today is the one year anniversary of Shelbe Lin's death. I still miss her dearly and think of her so very often. I still believe that one day she and I will be reunited - and I look forward to that day!
Shelbe at 6 weeks old
Shelbe - Age 5 Shelbe - Age 16

No comments:

Post a Comment