Sunday, October 26, 2014

My First 10K

My sister, Melissa, has been running for several years now and earlier this year ran her first half marathon - what an accomplishment!


At the end of September I asked her if she was running the half marathon in February again and she told me she needed to look at what races she would be running. She sent me an email with a list of races she had registered to run between then and the end of the year and told me I needed to sign up to run one with her. Of her list of four races, two were half marathons, one was a ten miler and then the other was a 10K. Knowing good and well I would not be ready for any of the longer races, I decided I would attempt the 10K with her. I honestly am not sure what I was thinking since I had less than a month to get ready for the race. Up until that time I was only running maybe a few times a week and at the most 2 or so miles. So I looked up on the internet how to train for a 10K in a month and honestly didn't find too much. So I decided I would run 2 or 3 miles three times during the week and then on Saturday run a longer run, attempting to add a mile each Saturday. Well, that did not work out so well, and it ended up that the longest I ran prior to the race today was a little over 4 miles generally at an average pace between 10:15/mile to 10:30/mile. I had no idea if I could make it 6.2 miles or not, but Melissa kept telling me that race day was different - and she was right!



Melissa and I both use 'Nike + Running App' and even though it is based off of GPS, ours each said different things. I think hers is a bit more accurate since at the end of the race mine said we ran 6.55 miles. That being said, we ran our first mile around 9:30, our second mile was even faster and according to the final race stats, our average was 10:24/mile. We finished in 1:04:29. I am certain I held Melissa back as I know she has a faster pace, but she stayed with me the whole time which I appreciate. I much prefer running with someone than running solo. She was a great encourager and I much enjoyed watching her pose for her pictures along the race route. (I just tried to have a smile on my face so I didn't look like I was dying as she was all smiles with double thumbs up.)

Thumbs up!

This picture makes me laugh hysterically!
So apparently I forgot to smile  - frankly
I look like I am dying!
We both have smiles - it is the end of the race
*I am sure I should not be posting these proofs, however the company is very proud of their pictures and charge a nice $25 dollars a picture, which I am not paying, so we will look at them with the word 'Proof' posted on them.

As for females, we finished 257th and 258th out of 835 and 31st and 32nd out of 118 in our age group which was age 40-44.





The after party was full of food and drinks! We had a celebratory cup of beer, juice, kolaches, fruit, power bars, and my favorite, Menchies frozen yogurt! It was a good time and honestly I felt a sense of accomplishment. Now to decide if I will run the half marathon with her in February . . . . at least I would have more time to prepare for that!

Celebratory drink!
Yummy frozen yogurt!




No comments:

Post a Comment