On Monday, while I was in San Antonio at the Texas School Nurse Administrators Association conference, I receive a text from Shane with the following picture:
Given the context clues of the baseball glove and the evident seams of the baseball engraved on Shane's knee cap, I am sure you have an idea of what happened. . . Shane had taken Casen for a pitching lesson and was warming him up prior to the lesson. Because of the lighting in the facility, Shane was not seeing the ball well, and Casen apparently unintentionally threw a cutter and Shane was expecting it, so took the ball off of his knee. He said he went straight down, was extremely nauseated and wasn't sure how he was going to drive home. After he got home, he iced it and at this point told me he didn't think he needed to go to the doctor.
On Tuesday, the first text I receive is asking if we have crutches. He did call to make an appointment with his orthopedic doctor, who wasn't able to see him until the following day. The following is how it looked:
Today, he was finally able to see the doctor. They x-rayed his knee and was told it was fractured. He was told it was not the knee cap (patella), but the bone behind it from the force of the knee cap hitting it (I assume the head of the tibia, based on where he was hit). He was told not to bend his knee and placed in a knee brace that keeps his leg straight. He was told he will most likely be in the brace for 6 weeks. He is to use crutches and follow up in 2 weeks to x-ray again and determine if they can adjust his brace.
![]() |
Unfortunately, it looks like he will spend yet another summer hanging out on the couch with a bum knee!

No comments:
Post a Comment